Thursday, 20 October 2011

Tense moments at poes garden

It was a nerve racking morning for everyone at Jaya’s official residence Veda Nilyam at Poes Garden. Be it the Chief Secretary or the Advocate General or Intelligence Chief or any of Jayalalitha’s ministerial colleagues.   Right after the Supreme Court dismissed Jaya’s petition to defer her personal appearance it became clear that Amma has to face the inevitable…since then tense moments prevailed inside Amma’s residence. 

Sources tell whispers in tamil nadu…legal experts and advocates were called in to discuss what can be done next…till late night yesterday Jayalalitha was reluctant to appear in court.  But officials and advocates had instilled the truth that it is inevitable and there is no other option left but to appear before the Special Court as ordered by the Apex court…after hectic deliberations and reluctance finally Amma agreed.

Early in the morning Tamil Nadu Chief Minister went through all the newspapers of the day to get an idea how the reportage will be…  Officials had already assured her that the focus of national TV will not be on her as there are many other events lined up in Bengaluru like the inauguration of ‘Namma Metro’ train services and Yedyurappa’s bail plea.

Jayalalitha’s convoy left poes garden sharp at 8.30  this morning.   Journalists and camerapersons who are usually allowed till the gates of Vedha Nilayam were stopped faraway much to their surprise.  Amma’s cronies believed cameras jostling for space to cover amma’s distressing visit to Bengaluru would annoy her.    Sources say Sasikala’s relatives who came to Vedha Nilayam to give amma a word of comfort were turned away. 

It was an early day for top officials of Tamil Nadu government.   Everybody bee lined to poes garden with tense faces.   While top officials accompanied amma till airport while other senior officials and ministers in Jaya’s cabinet were asked not to venture anywhere near poes garden. Almost all the ministers were waiting at the airport keeping their fingers crossed. This time, the usual cheers and bouquets were missing.   Tension was palpable in the air.

As Amma’s convoy left for Bengaluru in a gloomy mood, opposite to poes garden in a short distance it was celebration time for Jayalalitha’s bête noire Karunanidhi.   Once news reached Karunanidhi about Jayalalitha’s movement, Karuna’s mood turned jubilant say insiders in the DMK.  Ignoring the drubbing of DMK’s candidate in the Trichy bye-election Karuna was seen smiling and cracking jokes and was waiting for television crews approaching him for a sound bite.   A gleeful Karunanidhi commented  “Jayalalitha has finally bowed to justice. I will not seek her resignation.  It is her habit.”

Jaya arrived at Bengaluru and from the HAL airport left for Parappana Agrahara where her former Karnataka counterpart is cooling his heels.   Parappana Agrahara is the Central Prison of Bengaluru where the Special Court is situated.  

The Bengaluru police is not taking any chances given the attention this case has got from the Supreme Court.  The entire route from HAL airport to the Central Prison was completely sanitised. Bengaluru police went to the extent of clamping 144 prohibitory orders around the court till the hearing is over. Around 1500 policemen were on duty to see that not a speck of dust touches Amma.  

As whispers had told earlier, the DMK backed Sun TV and Kalaignar TV had a newsy day.   Sun TV had sent its OB vans to Airport and Bengaluru Special Court.  Kalaignar TV’s OB van which was lying idle since its inception was also in action in Bengaluru. 

Special Judge B.M.Mallikarjuniah and Jayalalitha met eye to eye at 11 am inside the court hall which was turned into a fortress.   Except advocates who are connected with the case all others were barred entry.   The Judge had a long list of questions for Amma, sources say around 400.   The pre-lunch session saw little progress in completing the procedure and the session broke for lunch.  Jayalalitha who is under tremendous stress had vegetable sandwiches inside her SUV.

At the pace the questioning procedure is going on it appears that Amma's agony may continue tomorrow and Amma is likely to come back and fly back to  Bengaluru tomorrow.  And the tense situation will continue tomorrow as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment